|Lemon verbena ice cream with strawberries|
Bobby Jay's Lemon Verbena Ice Cream
(Adapted from Clotilde Dusoulier and David Lebovitz)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 18 grams (2/3 oz) fresh lemon verbena
- 30 grams (c. 1 oz) limoncello (optional but helps the texture)
- dash of salt
- Heat 1 cup of cream, the milk, the sugar, the salt and the lemon verbena until the sugar melts and the mixture is bubbling around the sides. It should be about 175 degrees fahrenheit.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer into a bowl containing the remaining 1 cup of cream and the limoncello. Cool the bowl in a larger bowl with ice water, then place in the refrigerator for a few hours or, preferably, overnight.
- Freeze using an ice cream freezer, following directions.
(PS I then melted the remaining sorbet, reduced it a bit, and saved it as a lemon verbena syrup: perfect over vanilla ice cream or fruit or mixed with sparkling water. It would probably also make a great sweetener for iced tea.)